Today we’ll talk about 2 of my favorite things. In one word. Although I’ve seen the concept of “Art” in “Earth” before, it seems perfectly fitting for me and all that I’ve been studying. The harp (my art) and the environment (…the earth). Plus, it’s so freaking hard to ever decide what word you’re going to spell out when you’re picking out letters at the store, so when I came up with “EARTH” I knew that I had to put it up on my wall. Is it cheesy? Yes. Do I care? Not even a little.
First of all, I really believe that just seeing the word “EARTH” will remind me that:
1. I’m a miniscule, teeny-tiny, itty-bitty part of a huge planet so:
2. My problems are not that big of a deal and therefore:
3. Take care of the earth because you’re only a constituent of it, not the freaking owner.
and “ART” is one of many experiences that makes my existence meaningful.
So let’s begin! This is extremely easy. I’ve actually been holding onto these letters for a while–I was meaning to do a different project with them (ie using mosaics) but decided to just paint them because honestly who has the time for mosaics nowadays?
- Paper Mache letters. Made out of 100% recycled paper! You can buy them here (or at any craft store, really).
- Paint Brushes
- Optional (for easy hanging): elmer’s glue, nails and a hammer.
This project is extremely simple but fun, and also ecospired (naturally! [pun intended])
- Paint letters.
- Optional: If you’d like to hang the letters like I did, a really easy way is to take off the plastic tab that is glued on the letter. Then, move the tab down half an inch (so the tab doesn’t stick out from the top) and glue it there using elmer’s glue.. Then, you can just hang it from there (using nails and a hammer). I would’ve taken a picture but because the tabs are clear, they don’t show up well.
I painted the sides of the “ART” off white to make the letters “pop” off the wall and to give them definition. Don’t ask why I painted “X”s on the E and the H. I wanted to paint polka dots instead but I was too lazy.
What do you think? Have you jumped on the letters bandwagon yet? Leave me a comment and let me know!